The discipline of General Surgery covers the diagnosis and management of a broad spectrum of diseases. It involves non-surgical and surgical management in emergency and elective conditions. The services provided include Out-patient consultations, In-patient consultations, Emergency room consultations, Breast care screening, diagnosis and multidisciplinary treatment of breast lesions, Bariatric and Metabolic Surgery, Digestive system and Gastro-intestinal Tract surgical disease diagnosis and management, Abdominal wall surgeries, Endocrine Surgery, Trauma, and Emergency Care.
The General Surgeon has the knowledge and judgment to reach a diagnosis and plan treatment that sometimes does not require surgery.
The specialized general surgeon examines patients with breast lumps and can screen patients without symptoms. The surgeon has the skills and knowledge to direct the patient for observation, further testing, or biopsy. The breast surgeon has the expertise in surgery for benign conditions such as fibrocystic disease of the breast and in surgery for breast cancer.
The goal of bariatric and metabolic surgery is to help patients achieve significant and sustainable weight loss and resolve or improve obesity-related medical problems. It is called metabolic surgery because rapid and impressive weight loss that results from these operations can resolve or improve metabolic diseases such as type II diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and fatty liver.
To know more visit our Bariatric Surgery Specialty Clinic
The diseases we treat are sometimes common such as acute appendicitis or gall bladder stones, or less common such as an intestinal blockage. We treat infections and inflammation of the internal organs such as pancreatitis, gastric ulcers, diverticulitis of the colon, inflammatory bowel disease, and hydatid cysts. We also manage diseases of the anus and rectum such as hemorrhoids, anal fissures, fistula-in-ano, and abscesses that develop around the anal opening. The general surgeon manages some conditions that affect the function of the GI tract, and these do not always require surgery such as poor emptying of the stomach, acid reflux disease, Achalasia of the esophagus that causes difficulty swallowing.
The most common problems we treat are abdominal wall hernias that can develop in the groin(inguinal), belly button (para-umbilical), or at the site of previous surgery (incisional) as well as other sites. Repairing the hernias can be done through the classical open surgical approach or through small incisions called laparoscopic surgery.
Patients often present because of a lump or discoloration in or under the skin. The general surgeon will assess the lesion and decide if it should be removed surgically, left to be observed, or biopsied. Occasionally such lesions can be cancerous and should be referred to a surgical oncologist. Examples of such cancers include malignant melanoma and sarcoma.
This refers to surgery for organs that produce hormones such as the thyroid gland in the neck and the adrenal gland above the kidney. The parathyroid glands also located in the neck sometimes require surgery when there is an elevation of calcium levels in the blood. Endocrine surgery requires experience in the field and a good knowledge of the functions of the endocrine system and the treatment decision are often taken jointly with an endocrinologist.
The general surgeon is always ready to treat patients with serious and life-threatening emergencies such as bleeding from the spleen or liver after a traumatic injury. We also treat serious infections such as perforated appendicitis, perforated ulcer, bowel, and rectal abscesses among others.
Diseases & Conditions Treated
Centers of Excellence
Meet The Doctors
You will also need to have the following information with you when you check in:
- Qatar ID / valid passport
- Insurance card
- Laboratory studies (in case available)
For insurance and price inquiries, please contact our call center at +974 4400 4400 between 8 am to 10 pm.
The General Surgery Clinic at Aman Hospital is located at the following address: Ground Floor, Outpatient 2.
We recommend you allow enough time to park to ensure you arrive on time. Please plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment time. Our valet parking is here to assist you, take your car and park it safely in our underground parking.
Always feel free to bring someone with you to your appointments. A family member or friend can help ask questions, remember the information your care team gives you, and provide support.
Please call our call center at +974 4400 4400. They are available from Saturday to Thursday from 8 am to 10 pm to help you reschedule or cancel your appointment.
Our Support Services
- Specialized physical therapist who helps you to improve your joint pain and muscles strength, informs you on the proper ergonomic postures to prevent back pain, and customizes a targeted program that fits your health status. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Dietary services will guide you and your family regarding healthier food choices in case of dyslipidemia, diabetes, obesity and hyperuricemia. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Pharmaceutical services will guide you regarding your medications and/or biologic treatments: administration mode, timing, side effects, management in case of infection and address any question that may arise. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Nursing services for patient education who will provide you with all the information about your disease and treatment and answer your questions. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Healthcare practitioner who will coordinate all your appointments and make sure to schedule the appointments at your convenience. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Financial team who is here to secure your insurance approvals on time and assist you with any financial inquiries. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.