Acute and chronic cough are among the leading causes of physician visits annually. Chronic cough lasting longer than eight weeks is a perplexing condition of the airway that the medical community is still attempting to comprehend and treat effectively.
At AHCC, a team of experts works together in a multidisciplinary approach to achieve effective, coordinated, high-value care to patients suffering from this common condition. We work hard to uncover the root causes for cough which is often a sign of other conditions such as asthma, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), infections, or others.
During a Cough Clinic visit, patients will receive a comprehensive evaluation of their cough. It starts with the collection of a complete medical history and a detailed physical assessment. This will then lead to ordering the necessary laboratory and diagnostic tests that will point towards the correct diagnosis. Our goal is to properly diagnose all cough syndromes so we can tailor a treatment plan to help children and adults overcome their symptoms and achieve a better quality of life.
What is chronic cough?
A chronic cough is a common and distressing condition that is defined as one lasting more than 8 weeks. In the pediatric population, it affects the quality of life of the child and the entire family. Many report a persistent dry cough with a sensation of throat irritation or tickle, and sometimes soreness. It frequently occurs after exposure to changes in temperature or irritant fumes. Others report a wet cough with or without sputum production that can be persistent or intermittent. Talking and laughing can also trigger a cough. Most patients will have bursts of cough at night that will lead to poor sleep. The problem is occasionally caused by a heightened cough reflex. In many cases, the cough can be eliminated with the use of specific strategies designed to stop the throat from overreacting.
Reassuringly, the longer-term prognosis of all cough syndromes is generally good.
Cough Clinic conditions treated
What tests might be done?
For patients with chronic cough, a panel of tests will be requested to narrow down the diagnosis. These tests may include:
At AHCC, you will receive a thorough investigation of your cough until a diagnosis is reached. This is done via a multidisciplinary team approach that includes meticulous coordination between our pulmonologists, ENT (Otolaryngology) specialists, and Gastroenterologists to address your case and come up with the appropriate treatment plan to help you overcome your symptoms.
A support team of nurses and healthcare practitioners will be ready to address your concerns and follow up with you on tasks assigned by the clinical team to make sure your condition is improving as planned.
Your care team
You will also need to have the following information with you when you check in:
- Qatar ID / valid passport
- Insurance card
- Laboratory studies (in case available)
For insurance and price inquiries, please contact our call center at +974 4400 4400 between 8 am to 10 pm.
The Cough Clinic at Aman Hospital is located at the following address: First Floor, Pediatric Clinic.
We recommend you allow enough time to park to ensure you arrive on time. Please plan to arrive 30 minutes prior to your appointment time. Our valet parking is here to assist you, take your car and park it safely in our underground parking.
Always feel free to bring someone with you to your appointments. A family member or friend can help ask questions, remember the information your care team gives you, and provide support.
Please call our call center at +974 4400 4400. They are available from Saturday to Thursday from 8 am to 10 pm to help you reschedule or cancel your appointment.
Our Support Services
- Specialized physical therapist who helps you to improve your joint pain and muscles strength, informs you on the proper ergonomic postures to prevent back pain, and customizes a targeted program that fits your health status. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Dietary services will guide you and your family regarding healthier food choices in case of dyslipidemia, diabetes, obesity and hyperuricemia. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Pharmaceutical services will guide you regarding your medications and/or biologic treatments: administration mode, timing, side effects, management in case of infection and address any question that may arise. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Nursing services for patient education who will provide you with all the information about your disease and treatment and answer your questions. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Healthcare practitioner who will coordinate all your appointments and make sure to schedule the appointments at your convenience. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.
- Financial team who is here to secure your insurance approvals on time and assist you with any financial inquiries. For any inquiry, please contact +974 4400 4400.